Tuesday 28 February 2017

Interview with Nova Twelve


Monika: Today’s interview will be with Nova Twelve, a young American video blogger from South Carolina that documents her transition as Nova Twelve on YouTube. Hello Nova!
Nova: Hi Monika! Thank you so much for putting this interview together!
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Nova: Sure! I’m from the Williamsburg area of Virginia. I went to Virginia Commonwealth University for an undergraduate degree in Psychology. Later in life, I went to The Citadel for a Master's degree in Counseling.
I also have formal education in Cosmetology and Culinary. But more than my formal education, I’m most proud of my traveling experiences. At the present time, I’ve visited 52 countries. My goal is 100.
Monika: Why did you decide to share your transition details on YouTube?
Nova: It seemed like fun and it provided a creative outlet that I really needed.

Trying on a new dress.

Monika: I am sure you get many questions from your YouTube fans. What do they ask for?
Nova: I don’t get a lot of serious questions on my channel because most of my videos are comedy pieces. But on the occasion that I do get serious questions, it’s usually about my transition. 
Monika: What was the strangest question that you answered?
Nova: Oh gosh…. I get some off-the-wall stuff. I guess the strangest question was simply “Why?”...
Monika: Do you write scenarios for your videos or do you just improvise?
Nova: It’s mostly improvised, but I usually start out with something in mind.
Monika: At which stage of the transition are you right now?
Nova: I’m eleven years into HRT. I haven’t had any surgeries, and I don’t expect to.
Monika: Are you satisfied with the results of the hormone therapy?
Nova: I sure am! Heck yes!
Monika: Are there any transgender role models that you follow?
Nova: I watch a lot of people on YouTube and I enjoy many, many channels. But I really don’t have role models, nor have I ever sought one.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Nova: My family was/is the biggest obstacle.
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in your country?
Nova: I think trans people in the States are very lucky to live in such tolerant times.

Glamour shot.

Monika: What do you think about transgender stories or characters which have been featured in films, newspapers, or books so far?
Nova: I wasn’t a fan of The Danish Girl. I thought TransAmerica was halfway okay. Other than that, I don’t really know of too many trans characters or movies with trans topics.
Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Nova: I do enjoy politics and I consider myself a very informed voter. I most certainly believe that anyone, no matter their gender, can make a difference in politics.
Monika: Are you involved in the life of your local LGBTQ community?
Nova: I was on the Board of Gay Pride Virginia, and I use to organize a trans group in Richmond, Virginia.
Monika: The transgender cause is usually manifested together with the other LGBT communities. Being the last letter in this abbreviation, is the transgender community able to promote its own cause within the LGBT group?
Nova: For the most part, yes. 
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Nova: I let my girlfriend dress me and pick out my outfits. I’m clueless when it comes to the latest fashions.
Monika: What do you think about transgender beauty pageants?
Nova: I love beauty! So pageants are perfectly fine with me!
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Nova: I’ve always valued love and companionship over any worldly possession.

Shopping again.

Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Nova: I have. I’ve even had a few English Professors encourage me to do so. Perhaps one day...
Monika: What would you recommend to transgender women that are afraid of early transition, discrimination and hatred?
Nova: Fear will be anyone’s biggest hurdle. People sense fear. Be confident in who you are, and there will be little to fear. 
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Nova: 5-7 years from now? I don’t even know what I’m doing tomorrow. I live one day at a time and within that day. I try not to dwell on the past or the future.
I live within each moment. The only thing I can say for sure is that within 5-7 years I expect to be closer to my traveling goal of visiting 100 countries.
Monika: Nova, it was a pleasure to interview you. Thanks a lot!
Nova: Thank you Monika!!!! The pleasure was all mine!

All the photos: courtesy of Nova Twelve.
© 2017 - Monika Kowalska

Search This Blog