Tuesday 5 May 2015

Interview with Kayla Ward: Update


Monika: Hello Kayla! It has been 18 months since our first interview. What has changed in your life since then?
Kayla: I moved to Dallas, Texas, and began chasing my dreams of modeling and acting.
Monika: You look absolutely stunning! What is the secret of your beauty?
Kayla: Luck with genetics is about the only answer I can honestly give. I’d like to say it is due to eating healthy, consistent workouts, and always getting enough sleep but that doesn’t happen like it should.
Monika: You have blossomed into a beautiful woman. How does it feel to be a beautiful model?
Kayla: I feel very blessed to do what I do. I actually struggle with confidence so I don’t quite see what everyone else does but all of the support and encouragement really do help a lot!

From Kayla's portfolio.

Monika: How did you start your modeling career?
Kayla: I started modeling by walking in a few fashion shows for a dear friend/designer Raul Torres.
Monika: Who is your favorite fashion designer?
Kayla: I don’t really have a favorite but I would love to model for Guess and Paul Marciano.
Monika: The fashion industry is full of beautiful transgender models: Roberta Close in the past, now Lea T, Felipa Tavares, Andreja Pejić, Valentijn de Hingh, and many more. How could you explain such a great interest of the fashion industry in transgender ladies?
Kayla: I wouldn’t say there is a great interest in transgender individuals in the fashion industry yet. There should be and will be more as we continue to break down barriers.
Monika: Could you elaborate more on your most successful fashion shows and collections?
Kayla: I have only had the chance to walk in some shows in Dallas for some local designers but the one that means the most to me is Raul Torres.
Monika: Your shoot in Abilene was very sensual …
Kayla: I wouldn’t call it sensual. The photographer I shot with there is a great fashion photographer. We focused primarily on getting some editorial shots and also did a little glamour as well.

From Kayla's portfolio.

Monika: In one of your photo shoots, you got to wear a Victoria Secret dress for the first time. What was your feeling?
Kayla: I was just happy I finally got to put that dress to use.
Monika: Some time ago you applied for a role on Bold and the Beautiful soap opera. Any news about it?
Kayla: I never got to audition. I saw the posting for the show but they didn’t have open auditions for it.

From Kayla's portfolio.

Monika: My favorite shoot with you is the one in which you wear a violet dress and you have curly hair …
Kayla: Thank you, it was a fun shoot!
Monika: Do you often change your hairstyles?
Kayla: Unfortunately I am not good at styling my own hair so I rely on having it changed up if I shoot with a team and have someone work on my hair.
Monika: You are not afraid of lingerie shoots…
Kayla: I’m not really afraid of any types of shoots. It is just as fun wearing a full-on men’s suit as it is wearing lingerie. They all allow you to be a different person and show a different personality.

From Kayla's portfolio.

Monika: Would you ever accept posing nude for a men’s magazine?
Kayla: I wouldn’t be interested in posing nude but wouldn’t say no to posing in lingerie or doing implied shots for a men’s magazine.
Monika: My favorite shoots are your work photos …
Kayla: Thanks! I get bored at work and like to show what I’m wearing.
Monika: In most photos, you always wear high-heeled shoes. Do you like high heels? 
Kayla: They are actually more comfortable for me to wear due to my high arches. They also help create different lines for your body and help with posture in pictures.
Monika: You take part in many photoshoots. Is it difficult to pose for fashion photos?
Kayla: It is very difficult! I’m still learning and taking advice as I work with each photographer.
Monika: Have you got any favorite photographers?
Kayla: I enjoy working with them all but have had a few favorites due to their ability. There are also many I can’t wait to work with one day once I move out of Dallas.
Monika: What is the most important element of successful cooperation between a model and photographer?
Kayla: Flexibility, humility, and listening.
Monika: What would you recommend to other transgender girls dreaming about being a model?
Kayla: It definitely isn’t easy and requires a lot of work. You have to study and practice by looking through magazines and sitting in front of a mirror.
Monika: Kayla, thank you for the interview!

END OF PART 1

 
All the photos: courtesy of Kayla Ward.
© 2015 - Monika Kowalska

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog