Saturday 6 September 2014

Interview with Gia Versace


Monika: Today it is my pleasure and honor to interview Gia Versace, an American entertainer and beauty pageant queen. Hello Gia!
Gia: Aloha Monika!
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Gia: Sure, I was born and raised on the windward side of Oahu in a city called Kaneohe, Hawaii.
Monika: When did you decide that you would like to be a stage artist?
Gia: My fascination with the stage began when I took a drama class in high school and it became really clear that I wanted to be a showgirl when I saw my first drag show in a night club called Venus.
Monika: Could you name some of the venues and shows in which you participated?
Gia: I have done shows and many fundraisers and night clubs such as Venus, which is now called Bar 7, and I am currently a showgirl at Fusions Waikiki (home of the two longest-running female impersonation shows in Hawaii).

National Showgirl Goddess 2013.

Monika: Have you ever thought about acting?
Gia: Yes, I have a few times.
Monika: You also take part in transgender beauty pageants. Could you say a few words about your pageants and trophies?
Gia: I currently hold the title of National Showgirl Goddess 2013, which is a pageant held on the beautiful island of Maui. I am also a former Queen of Queens 2012 which is a pageant held here on Oahu.
Monika: Being beautiful always produces a lot of girl power and empowerment. Do you often use it?
Gia: Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and I believe that beauty on the inside is what counts most. I use that expression every day and everywhere I go.
Monika: At that time of your transition, did you have any transgender role models that you could follow?
Gia: I definitely looked up to older generations such as my Aunties in the community who have paved our way so we can be who we are today.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Gia: The hardest thing about my coming would have to be being accepted by my Father. 
Monika: What do you think about the present situation of transgender women in American society?
Gia: I feel that transgendered women have made a huge impact on society in general. I also feel that it is being accepted more nowadays but there is no end we still have a long ways to go.
Monika: We are witnessing more and more transgender ladies coming out. Unlike in the previous years some of them have the status of celebrities or are really well-known, just to mention Lana Wachowski in film-directing, Jenna Talackova in modeling, Kate Bornstein in academic life, Laura Jane Grace in music or Candis Cayne in acting. Do you witness the same trend?
Gia: Definitely.

Lovely as usual!

Monika: Could transgenderism be the new frontier for human rights?
Gia: I feel that it’s a huge step towards it.
Monika: Are you active in politics? Do you participate in any lobbying campaigns? Do you think transgender women can make a difference in politics?
Gia: I try to keep up, especially with issues that face or involve our community and I feel strongly that trans women and men can definitely make a difference in politics.
Monika: Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Gia: Love is important to me not only relationship-wise but love from your friends and family as well. Love is what we all need.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Gia: I Love fashion!! As far as what I wear, I like to be versatile in fashion as well as creative. Versace and Dior are a few of my favorite designers.
Monika: Many transgender ladies write their memoirs. Have you ever thought about writing such a book yourself?
Gia: Honestly I haven’t thought about writing a book but I love to share my stories and experiences especially to help the younger generation yet to come. 
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Gia: My next step in life is to achieve my lifelong goal which is to go back to school for aviation. I want to be a pilot. I have always been fascinated with airplanes.
Monika: What would you recommend to all transgender girls, thinking about an entertainment career?
Gia: My advice would be to always remember that if entertaining is what makes you happy and is your passion then don’t let anyone or anything get in the way of your passion, and you can do anything you put your mind to. Also don’t look at it as a job, entertaining is a hobby or passion, and know your worth.
Monika: Gia, thank you for the interview!
Gia: Thank you Monika for this opportunity I am really honored to be a part of your interview!!!

All the photos: courtesy of Gia Versace.
© 2014 - Monika Kowalska
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog